Smoothies are an excellent way to start your day. Nutritious, filling, and portable, they’re easy to grab and go on your way to work! Plus, you can easily prep and freeze the ingredients ahead to just throw into the blender when you wake up.
And this smoothie will make you feel great. It’s packed with antioxidant-rich foods, and it’s like a bolt of energy to get your day started the right way. Here is a little about some of the great ingredients in this green smoothie:
- Matcha powder – available at most health food stores or online. Made from high-quality tea, it’s a more potent source of nutrients than green tea, and is an excellent source of antioxidants and EGCG. Plus, it contains caffeine!
- Maqui – available at Whole Foods and similar stores. A Chilean purple berry that’s rich with anti-aging anthocyanins, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Chia seeds – available at your regular grocery store. These seeds contain a lot of fiber, protein, Omega-3 fats, and other good-for-you vitamins and minerals.
- 1 cup Almond milk (or milk of choice)
- Frozen Mango
- ¼ teaspoon Matcha green tea powder (a little goes a long way!)
- Big handful of fresh Spinach
- 1/2 of a frozen banana (halve bananas and keep them in the freezer to make smoothies easier!)
- 1 teaspoon of Maqui powder
- 2 tablespoons of chia or flax seeds
- Sweetener of choice (not necessary, but an option if you like your smoothies a little sweeter)
- Add all ingredients to your blender and blend!
Of course, there are lots of ways you can customize this green smoothie to your own taste. Leave out the Matcha or Maqui powder if you don’t have those ingredients on hand. Add a sweetener like honey or agave nectar if you like your smoothies a little on the sweeter side. Or even mix up the fruit if you have something else in your freezer!
The important thing is that you’re starting your day with a great breakfast, full of anti-oxidants, and other great ingredients. Enjoy!
Contributed by: Jenny Eden Berk, MSEd
Title: Certified Eating Psychology Coach
Business: Jenny Eden Coaching